Ho Chi Minh City is famous for being one of the tourist cities that international tourists love. Every year, this city welcomes millions of tourists to visit. So what attracts tourists to come here like that? Those are architectural works, typical of which is the Notre Dame Cathedral. This is a tourist symbol of the city with a long-established history. Are you ready to explore Notre Dame Cathedral with VnTraveler.com?
1. Where is Notre Dame Cathedral located? What is the history of the Notre Dame Cathedral?
1.1 Location of Notre Dame Cathedral (Map)
Located in the heart of District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Notre Dame Cathedral in Saigon impresses everyone with its grandeur and special French architecture. This place is not only one of the familiar destinations of Saigon people but also a top destination for international tourists when arriving in Ho Chi Minh City.
Address: 01 Cong Xa Paris, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
1.2 Notre Dame has a long history
On October 7, 1877, Bishop Isidore Colombert held a ceremony to build the church. Notre Dame Cathedral was built within 3 years. In April 1880, on the occasion of Easter, the dedication and inauguration of Notre Dame were held by the late Colombert and with the participation of the Governor of Cochinchina Le Myre de Villers.
Currently, inside the church entrance, there is a marble plaque with the commencement date and the name of the Archbishop.
In 1895, people built two more bell towers for the church. Each bell tower is 57.6m high, has 6 large bells weighing a total of 28.85 tons. On the top of each bell tower is attached across 3.5m high, weighing 600kg.
On December 5, 1995, the Vatican appointed Notre Dame Cathedral in Saigon to the rank of Basilique. After this event, the Notre Dame Cathedral was officially named the Basilica of Notre Dame Cathedral in Saigon, and in 1960 it became the cathedral of the Archbishop of Saigon.
2.Ticket fee to visit Notre Dame Cathedral and opening hours
With the splendor outside along with a massive architecture, moreover, this is also the main church of the Archbishop of Saigon, so many people often think the ticket to the Notre Dame Cathedral will be very high. However, the church does not charge entrance fees for everyone.
Opening hours: 5:30 am to 5:00 pm everyday.
3. Ways to get to Notre Dame Cathedral
Moving to Notre Dame Cathedral will become easy with the suggestions of VnTraveler.com, please refer to some of the means below:
- Bus: After landing at Tan Son Nhat International Airport, visitors can choose bus 109 or 03 to go to the City People’s Court station or Le Duan. After that, visitors can walk or take a taxi for about 500 meters more to Notre Dame Cathedral.
- For more convenience, tourists can choose taxi services, some famous taxi companies that tourists can rest assured to choose such as Saigon Air Taxi, Taxi Mai Linh, Vina Taxi, Taxi Savico,…
- Some technology taxi companies are also very popular in Vietnam and are loved by many people for their convenience such as Grab, Be, GoViet,…
4. Are there any hotels near Notre Dame Cathedral?
Ho Chi Minh City is a leading tourist center in the country so the service industry here is very developed. Notre Dame Cathedral is located in the city center, so you will surely have many options for your accommodation needs. Some famous hotels in District 1 are as follows:
- Norfolk Mansion – Luxury Serviced Apartments (Map): Address: 19-21 Ly Tu Trong, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Novotel Saigon Center (Map): Address: 167 Hai Ba Trung, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Silverland Yen Hotel (Map): 73-75 Thu Khoa Huan, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Blue Diamond Luxury Hotel (Map): 6B Thi Sach, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Park Hyatt Saigon (Map): Address: 2 Lam Son Square, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
5. Places to eat, shop and play near Notre Dame Cathedral at night
Ho Chi Minh City is also known as “the city that never sleeps” because of its bustle at night. Near Notre Dame Cathedral, visitors can easily find many ideal places to eat, shop, and have fun.
5.1 Places to eat
- Seoul Galbi (Map): This is a Korean restaurant for those who love Korean food
Address: 31B Ly Tu Trong, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Secret Garden – Vietnamese Restaurant & Tea House (Map): If you want to experience Vietnamese dishes, this place will be a great choice.
Address: 158 Pasteur, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Shang Garden (Map): The restaurant is famous for its rich Chinese cuisine, extremely attractive dishes.
Address: 1A Ton That Tung Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Chiyoda Sushi (Map): Chiyoda Sushi is currently a famous brand of Sushi in high-quality food in Japan.
Address: 178 Pasteur, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
5.2 Shopping Venues
- NOWZONE Fashion Mall (Map): As one of the leading shopping centers gathering many famous domestic and international fashion brands.
Address: 235, Nguyen Van Cu, Nguyen Cu Trinh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Takashimaya Vietnam (Map): It can be said that this is truly a paradise for shopping, eating, and integrating many fun activities, entertainment, updated according to current youth trends.
Address: 92-94 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Bitexco Financial Tower (Map): One of the most luxurious and classy dining, entertainment, and shopping complexes in Ho Chi Minh City.
Address: 02 Hai Trieu, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Nguyen Hue Walking Street (Map): The most famous street in Ho Chi Minh City with nightly entertainment activities.
Address: 22 Nguyen Hue, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Bui Vien Walking Street (Map): The street concentrates most foreign tourists in Ho Chi Minh city. There are restaurants, pubs, cafes, … and many other entertainment services.
Address: Bui Vien, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Ben Thanh Night Market (Map): A symbol of Saigon from past to present. Ben Thanh Market is a familiar destination for locals and international tourists. Walking, shopping every night here is an interesting thing that any young tourist should also try to record visiting Saigon.
Address: 13 Phan Chu Trinh, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Movie theaters such as CGV Cinemas, Galaxy Cinema, Lotte Cinema, BHD Star Cineplex,… in commercial centers will be an interesting option if you want to spend time watching movies with family and friends.
6. Experiences while visiting Notre Dame Cathedral
Below are some experiences that visitors need to read about in order to have a great church tour:
- Take the time to experience the architecture and the interior inside the church because it will really impress you.
- Feeding pigeons is also a fun activity that visitors should try while visiting Notre Dame Cathedral.
- Because of the large number of tourists, visitors need to be careful and take care of the personal property.
- Observe church rules.
7. The famous tourist places are near Notre Dame Cathedral
After visiting Notre Dame Cathedral, visitors can visit some other famous tourist destinations in District 1. Here are a few places that VnTraveler.com has compiled:
- Ho Chi Minh City Museum of Fine Arts (Map): located in District 1, this is an ideal place for those who love art. Here, visitors will be impressed by the beautiful works that we cannot take our eyes off.
Address: 97A Pho Duc Chinh, Nguyen Thai Binh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Independence Palace (Map): Independence Palace is an ideal place to visit, besides it is also the place to organize conferences, seminars, and reception of domestic and foreign agencies and businesses.
Address: 135 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- City Theater (Map): Theater is considered as a typical cultural work and most expensive in Saigon during the French colonial period. Currently, Ho Chi Minh City Theater is the place to organize professional theatrical performances such as performance of drama, reformed drama, music, ballet, ethnic group, opera for all internal and external artistic groups. country.
Address: 07 Lam Son Square, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Mariamman Temple (Map): This is a 100-year-old Indian temple located in the heart of Saigon. With mysterious and mysterious features, this temple is not too busy like other Buddhist temples in Saigon, but every day there are visitors to worship and pray for good things.
Address: 45 Truong Dinh, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Notre Dame Cathedral is one of the 19 most beautiful churches in the world. When seeing the church with your own eyes, visitors will be surprised by its splendor and impressed by its exquisite architecture. Notre Dame Cathedral has long been an indispensable symbol of tourism, culture, and history in the hearts of Saigonese. Come visit and experience Notre Dame Cathedral and leave comments below so that VnTravler.com can know about your wonderful tour!