Independence Palace is an important historical work for the Saigonese in particular and the Vietnamese in general. This is the residence of the most powerful classes and is also a symbol of Vietnam’s peace and territorial integrity. Because of this beauty and great historical significance, the palace is one of the most attractive places for tourists coming to the city named Uncle Ho. Let’s join VnTraveler.com to break this famous place!
1. Where is the Independence Palace? History of the Independence Palace?
Location of Independence Palace (Map)
The Saigon Independence Palace is also known with many famous names such as Reunification Palace, Governor’s Palace, Reunification Hall, Norodom Palace. This is a historical work designed by architect Ngo Viet Thu. This place used to be the residence and working place of the President of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam during the war. Currently, the Independence Palace is located at 135 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia Street, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
History of the Independence Palace
In 1867 – 1868, after occupying 6 Southern provinces, Governor Lagrandiere held the first stone laying ceremony to start building the Governor’s Palace of Cochinchina in Saigon.
In the period 1871 – 1887, the palace for the Governor of Cochinchina should be called the Governor’s Palace. From 1887 to 1945, high-ranking French colonial officials used this place to work and took the name of the Governor’s Palace.
In March 1945, the Japanese overthrew the French, the Palace became the residence and working place of the Japanese government, but in September 1945, Japan failed, the Palace was under French ownership. After that, the French handed the Palace over to the Ngo Dinh Diem government.
In 1955 the Palace was renamed the Independence Palace. Since then, it became the symbol of the government of South Vietnam which is also the residence of the President.
In 1962, the Palace was bombed and could not be restored, so Ngo Dinh Diem decided to build a completely new one designed and inaugurated in 1966 by architect Ngo Viet Thu.
In April 1975, the Independence Palace again became the witness of the attack and rebellion in the spring of 1975. And when the National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam flag fluttered on top of the Palace, end to war over 20 years.
By 1976, the Saigon Independence Palace was recognized as a National Historical Relic and honored as one of the 10 special national monuments of Vietnam (in 2009).
2. How much does it cost to visit the Independence Palace? Operation hours?
Do we need to buy a ticket when visiting Independence Palace?
When visiting the Independence Palace, you will need to purchase a ticket to enter the gate.
Ticketing time: from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Tickets to visit:
- Entrance ticket to the Palace (including the Exhibition “From Norodom Palace to Independence Palace 1868 – 1966”
Adults: 65,000 VND / person
Student: 45,000 VND / person
Children: 15,000 VND / person
- Tickets to visit the Palace
Adults: 40,000 VND / person
Student: 20,000 VND / person
Children: 10,000 VND / person
You can contact one of the following numbers for more details: 028.38223652 – 080.85037 – 080.85039 – 080.85094.
When does the Independence Palace open?
Independence Palace is open to welcome visitors to visit all days of the week including holidays and New Year (except for special cases, will be announced here). Visiting hours: from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm.
3. How to move to the Independence Palace?
To reach the Saigon Independence Palace, visitors can move in many ways, many suitable means.
– If from Tan Son Nhat airport, tourists can go by bus 109.
– Tourists can also travel by taxi, in Ho Chi Minh City there are many famous taxi companies such as VinaSun Taxi, Taxi Savico, Taxi Mai Linh, Vina Taxi, …
– Visitors can also use technology taxis to capture detailed schedules such as Grab, GoViet, Be, Vato, …
– Another great experience is cyclo – an interesting means of transportation for foreign tourists. On the roads in Saigon, it is not difficult for tourists to find this means of transportation.
4. Hotels near Independence Palace
Located in the city center, near the Independence Palace, there are many hotels to serve your accommodation needs. With a variety of types and costs, visitors can choose a suitable hotel for themselves. Here are a few hotels guests can refer to.
- Silverland Yen Hotel (Map): Located on Thu Khoa Huan street, Silverland Yen Hotel is just 400m from Independence Palace. The hotel features a warm outdoor hot tub and sauna/steam room.
Address: 73-75 Thu Khoa Huan, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Orchids Saigon Hotel (Map): Located in Ho Chi Minh City, Orchids Saigon Hotel features a restaurant, fitness center, bar, and shared lounge. Located in a prime location in District 3, this hotel also offers a garden, outdoor swimming pool, 24-hour front desk, room service and organizes tours for guests.
Address: 192 Pasteur, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Akoya Saigon Central Hotel (Map): Rooms here are equipped with air conditioning, flat-screen cable TV, fridge, kettle, bidet, hairdryer, and desk. All rooms also have a wardrobe and a private bathroom.
Address: 88 Ly Tu Trong, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
5. Places to eat, shop and play near the Independence Palace at night
Around the Reunification Palace, there are many dining, shopping, and entertainment places that visitors should visit. With a bustling atmosphere at night, it will definitely relax and relax guests.
Places to eat
- Rubik Zoo (Map)
- Located on the Botanical Gardens, Rubik Zoo has more than 300 food, coffee, or clothing stalls in containers, tents, giving visitors a new experience every weekend. This area welcomes guests from morning to 11 pm, the peak of crowds is 8-9 pm.
- The dishes here are quite diverse, from grilled dishes of Vietnam, Thailand, Hong Kong to Japanese and Korean specialties, with prices considered cheap compared to District 1.
Address: 1Bis Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Sense Market – Sense Market (Map)
- Sense Market modern market in the basement of 23/9 park with diverse culinary activities, bookstores,… meeting the shopping and entertainment needs of many people, especially foreign tourists.
- The basement area has an area of 11,000 square meters, of which 5,000 square meters represent the old Asian street-food culture space with nearly 100 food stalls selling Vietnamese, Laos, Cambodia, India, and Japanese dishes …
Address: 04 Pham Ngu Lao, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Takashimaya Vietnam (Map)
- This place is known as a genuine shopping center for young luxury people in Saigon. Inside there are countless famous brands such as Montblanc, Moschino, Versace, Kenzo, Tommy Hilfiger, Valentino, …
- This is one of the new and most modern shopping centers in Saigon, which integrates a lot of modern activities, updated according to the current youth trend.
- Located in a super expensive location of Saigon city plus eye-catching architecture and decoration from outside and inside, this commercial center is extremely hot.
Address: 92-94 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Saigon Garden (Map)
- Located next to the famous Nguyen Hue pedestrian street, it is always crowded with domestic and foreign tourists to visit. Saigon Garden Shopping Center has achieved important factors such as “harmony with the environment”, “fit with the function” and “harmony with culture”.
- The area that many people are most interested in when coming here is the middle area of the shopping center. This place is designed like a small street with many Western – u restaurants and fashion shops on both sides.
Address: 99 Nguyen Hue, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Nguyen Hue Walking Street (Map)
- Nguyen Hue Walking Street is one of the top places in Saigon at night you should not miss, with the bustling space, the excitement on every street corner creates attraction and makes this place more ambiance, excited by crowded people.
- In addition, there are many restaurants, cafes around, entertainment activities are always held every night. This is a favorite destination of many people.
Address: 22 Nguyen Hue, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Bars and beer clubs: the bars, beer clubs are also a reasonable choice if you want to have nightlife space in Saigon. Some famous bars are Air 360 Skybar (Map), The View Rooftop Bar (Map), Fox Beer Lounge (Map), …
6. Notes when visiting the Reunification Palace
Because this is a place bearing the heroic historical mark of a nation, a country, visitors need to comply with the regulations of the relic when visiting.
- Dress politely, don’t wear clothes that are too short and revealing.
- Do not bring luggage, food, drink, animals, weapons, and explosives inside the Palace.
- Visitors are responsible for any actions that cause damage to the site.
7. Famous tourist attractions near the Reunification Palace
- Central Post Office (Map)
- This is one of the best rated architectural works in Ho Chi Minh City. Every day, many visitors come here to visit and explore.
- Built from 1886 – 1891 by the famous French architect Gustave Eiffel, visitors will see the Saigon Post office wearing a striking yellow paint in the Saigon afternoon sun.
- You will think nothing special, but it will be a wrong idea if you do not once set foot inside the Post Office building, overwhelmed by the unique space and architecture here.
Address: 2 Cong Xa Paris, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Located on Vo Van Tan Street, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, War Remnants Museum is a vivid picture of Vietnam during the war years against the US – Wei.
- The museum consists of 3 floors. The first floor includes the consequences of Agent Orange in the war of invasion of the US in Vietnam, War crimes of invasion, movie theater, meeting room.
- The second floor consists of Historical Facts, Memories (Photo collection of war correspondents who died in the Indochina War), Agent Orange in the Vietnam War, The White Dove (Children’s Education Department ), Vietnam – War and peace.
- In addition, the museum also has booths displaying and introducing products about Vietnamese ethnic culture so that visitors can buy them as souvenirs for friends and relatives.
Address: 28 Vo Van Tan, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Coming to Ben Thanh market, visitors can find almost everything from popular to rare, from popular to high-end such as food, clothes, jewelry, items, spices, souvenirs, electronics… with good quality.
- Ben Thanh Market has become one of the tourist symbols of Ho Chi Minh City. This is an attractive tourist destination that always attracts domestic and foreign tourists to visit and shop.
Address: Le Loi Street, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Independence Palace is always one of the favorite destinations of tourists when coming to Ho Chi Minh City. Through the article, VnTraveler.com has provided you with much useful knowledge about this famous place. Wish you have a great experience at the Independence Palace.