Cu Chi tunnels are known as a pride of military art in Vietnam. This military architecture has been praised by the world press. Today, Cu Chi tunnels are not only a special national monument but also a famous tourist attraction, serving about 20 million domestic and foreign tourists each year. With the architecture built underground, this place will definitely surprise you and attract. Follow VnTraveler.com to learn about Cu Chi tunnels!
1. Where are Cu Chi tunnels located? History of the Cu Chi tunnels
1.1 Location of Cu Chi tunnels (Map)
Cu Chi tunnels are located about 70km from the center of Ho Chi Minh City to the Northwest. Known to many as a heroic land, this is where the underground tunnel system is nearly 250km long. This tunnel is a work of transformation and creation of the Cu Chi army and people in the resistance war against the invading enemy, gaining independence and freedom for the country.
The tunnels are preserved in two locations, 13km apart:
- Ben Duoc Tunnels in Phu Hiep Hamlet, Phu My Hung Commune, Cu Chi District, Ho Chi Minh City, are recognized as a National Historical and Cultural Relic in 1979.
- Ben Dinh Tunnels in Ben Dinh Hamlet, Nhuan Duc Commune, Cu Chi District, Ho Chi Minh City, are recognized as a National Historic Site in 2004.
1.2 History of Cu Chi Tunnels you may not know
Cu Chi tunnels were formed during the resistance war against French colonialism (1946-1948). Initially, officials in the two communes of Tan Phu Trung and Phuoc Vinh An dug the tunnel just for hiding purposes. Later, because of the need to travel between the tunnels, these tunnels were linked together. Later, the tunnels expanded to many places.
By 1965, about 200km of tunnels had been trained, forming a system of tunnels running deep underground. In terms of scale, the Cu Chi tunnels are divided into 3 different floors, the upper floor is about 3m from the ground, the middle floor is about 5m from the ground, the bottom floor is 8-10m deep.
Cu Chi Tunnels are not only a shelter but also a place to store weapons, documents, ambulance rooms, meetings,… serving soldiers fighting during the war.
2. Ticket price to visit Cu Chi Tunnels? Hours of operation of the tunnels?
- 20,000 VND / Vietnamese visitor.
- 110,000 VND / international visitor.
The tunnels are open all day from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
3. How to get to Cu Chi Tunnels?
This is a popular and cheap means of transportation chosen by many tourists to move from the center of Ho Chi Minh City to Cu Chi Tunnels. The bus cost is quite cheap and convenient.
- To go to Ben Duoc Tunnel, visitors can take bus number 13 (Ben Thanh – Cu Chi) at the bus station at Ben Thanh market or bus number 94 (Cho Lon – Cu Chi) to move to Cu Chi bus station. From here, continue to take bus number 79 (Cu Chi – Dau Tieng) to reach Ben Duoc Tunnel.
- To go to Ben Dinh Tunnels, visitors can take bus 13 (Ben Thanh – Cu Chi) or bus number 94 (Cho Lon – Cu Chi) to move to An Suong bus station. From here, continue to take bus number 122 to get to Tan Quy bus station. From Tan Quy bus station, tourists take bus number 70 to reach Ben Dinh tunnel.
– Taxi: Visitors can travel by taxi to go to Cu Chi Tunnels. There are many taxi companies in Ho Chi Minh City that tourists can choose from such as: Vina Taxi, VinaSun Taxi, Taxi Mai Linh, Taxi Savico, …
4. Hotels near Cu Chi Tunnels
In Cu Chi, there are also many hotels to serve the needs of tourists, here are some hotels that tourists can refer to:
- Tanja Resort (Map): Address: 1530 No. 7 Street, An Nhon Tay, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Les Hameaux de l’Orient (Map): Address: Hamlet Rang, Trung Lap Thuong, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Dang Vinh Hotel (Map): Address: Hamlet 4, Provincial Highway 8, Phuoc Vinh An, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Golden Emerald Resort (Map): 29 Pham Thi Quote, Hamlet 1, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
5. Places to eat, shop and play near Cu Chi Tunnels at night
Coming to Cu Chi, visitors must definitely experience the unique and famous dishes here. Besides, Cu Chi also has many places for tourists to shop and have fun at night.
5.1 Places to eat
- Truong Lac Beef (Map): This address also specializes in serving beef silk. You can rest assured to enjoy the fresh and delicious beef, properly prepared when coming here.
Address: Trung Lap, Phu My Hung, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Banh Trang – Co Moc (Map): If you want to enjoy the rice paper you can come to this address. The restaurant is available from 7 am to 9 pm. There are many types of rice paper for you to choose from.
Address: 294 Provincial Road 15, Phu Hoa Dong, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Spring roll and fruit plate – An Nhon Tay Cultural House (Map): The shop is only available from the afternoon to 9 pm. The snacks here are only spring rolls and fruit dishes, but always attract a large number of residents around here to eat. The price is very affordable, from 3,000 VND to 10,000 VND per dish.
Address: Provincial Road 15, An Nhon Tay, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Mrs. Sang’s crab soup – Phu Hoa Dong Market (Map): This crab soup shop only sells from 3 pm, but by 8 pm it has ended. If it is late you will not have a chance to enjoy it. Crab soup costs only from 10,000 VND to 15,000 VND.
Address: 485 Provincial Road 15, Phu Hoa Dong, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
5.2 Shopping Venues
- Center Mall Cu Chi (Map):
- This is the first SATRA shopping mall in this area and also the largest commercial center in Cu Chi – up to now.
Center Mall Cu Chi includes 3 floors:
- The first floor is mainly the food court and buffet supermarket, specifically: Café Highlands, KFC, Jollibee, PNJ jewelry store, Owen time store, Blook, and Satramart buffet supermarket.
- The second floor is home to brands such as Miniso store, Daiso store, Medicare health and beauty store, Fabico bookstore, food stalls with Paparoti, milk tea, and part of the Satramart buffet supermarket.
- The 3rd floor focuses on entertainment activities with Tiniworld children’s play area, Smile Joy Game Center, and CGV cinema complex.
Address: 1239 Provincial Road 8, Trung An, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- GUMAC Cu Chi (Map): This is a famous fashion showroom in Cu Chi that visitors should visit. Here, visitors will be able to freely experience, choose the fashion designs they love. All products at GUMAC showrooms are committed to good quality, diversified designs, and rich colors.
Address: 193 Provincial Road 8, Cu Chi Town, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Green Noen Farm (Map): This is a green paradise planned for each specific subdivision. With a total area of more than 60 hectares with more than 33 mushroom growers; 4 farm buildings for dairy cows, goats, sheep and more than 3 hectares of Mokara orchids, safe vegetables … Entrance fee: 50k / person, you will be instructed in the process of growing mushrooms, picking mushrooms, milking cow, goat, sheep, cow …
Address: 816/18 Nguyen Thi Ranh, An Nhon Tay, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Fosaco Ecological Village (Map): In addition to participating in free games at the resort, you can also learn about the unique cultures of ethnic minorities such as architecture, festivals, food, and craft village, enjoy the specialties of the Central Highlands.
Address: Nga Tu Hamlet, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Binh My Riverside Resort (Map): This place is loved by many people because of the peaceful and green space of the fruit garden. In particular, Binh My Resort also attracts young people with many simple games such as boating, swimming pool, swimming in the river, catching fish, fishing,… This place is not only suitable for fun and out of the day. but also suitable for a long vacation.
Address: Binh My, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
6. Notes when visiting Cu Chi Tunnels
– Absolutely follow the rules when visiting the tunnels.
– Some tunnels can only fit 1 person, be careful.
– You should drop off your luggage and personal belongings before going into the cellar.
– Follow the instructions of the tour guide when entering the basement.
7. Famous tourist attractions near Cu Chi Tunnels
- Cu Chi Water Park (Map): Here, visitors can freely swim, visit the zoo, adventure games, … The admission fee is 40,000 VND.
Address: Phuoc Vinh An, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Trung An Fruit Garden Ecotourism Area (Map): Visitors will enjoy a variety of fresh Vietnamese fruits and many country dishes in this place.
Address: Trung An, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Láng The (Map): A country-style restaurant, river. This will be a very new experience for visitors.
Address: Provincial Road 8, Phuoc Vinh An, Cu Chi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Hai Thanh Ecotourism Area (Map): Another very famous ecotourism area, visitors will see Koi fish everywhere in this tourist area. Visitors can also experience the dishes and fruits here.
Address: An Hoa Hamlet, Trung An Commune, Cu Chi District, Ho Chi Minh City.
Ho Chi Minh City is not only impressed by the dynamic lifestyle, outstanding high-rise architecture, unique style cafes, vibrant shopping centers. Ho Chi Minh City also carries onto itself the bold historical imprints of a time of fire and war. And Cu Chi tunnels are the clearest mark for that heroic historical period. Above is the useful information that VnTraveler.com has compiled, wish you a wonderful tour of this masterpiece of art!