Ben Thanh Market has long been an indispensable destination for visitors to Ho Chi Minh City. This place is not only an ordinary market, just selling goods like other markets, but it is also a witness of history – which has witnessed the ups and downs and development of the city. With a long history of formation, Ben Thanh market is considered a symbol of Ho Chi Minh City. Today, VnTraveler.com will explore this interesting market with you.
Where is Ben Thanh market located? History of Ben Thanh market
Location of Ben Thanh market (Map)
Ben Thanh market is one of the most historic markets in Ho Chi Minh City and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the whole of Vietnam. This is a destination not to be missed when visitors come to “the city that never sleeps”.
The market is located between the streets of Phan Boi Chau – Phan Chu Trinh – Le Thanh Ton – Quach Thi Trang Square in Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
History of Ben Thanh market
Ben Thanh Market existed before the French came to this land. The original market was located on the banks of the Ben Nghe River, next to a river station near Quy citadel (also known as Gia Dinh citadel). This river wharf used to allow visitors and soldiers to enter the city, so it was called Ben Thanh.
In 1911, the French colonial government decided to relocate the market to the current location, at that time this place was still a muddy pond. Ben Thanh market has started construction from 1912 until the end of March 1914, it was completed and the market officially operated continuously since then.
Since its establishment until now, Ben Thanh market is still the busiest and most famous market in Saigon. It is considered one of the symbols of the city and gradually becomes the characteristic beauty of the vibrant land as well as the people here.
Ticket price to Ben Thanh market? Operating hours?
You can rest assured that you will not spend any money to visit this famous market. Ben Thanh market is free of charge for everyone.
Operating hours of Ben Thanh market are from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. After 7:00 pm, the stalls inside the market will clean and close. This is also the time when the shops outside the market will start operating. At night, there are many interesting places around Ben Thanh market.
The means to go to Ben Thanh market
If you come from other provinces, you can travel by means of air, train, or bus to Ho Chi Minh city. Then visitors will move to the center of District 1 to get to Ben Thanh market.
In the city center, visitors will have many options to move to Ben Thanh market:
- Travel by taxi: There are many taxi companies here for tourists to choose from such as Mai Linh Taxi, VinaSun Taxi, Vina Taxi, Saigon Air Taxi, … or visitors can choose technological taxi companies like Grab, GoViet, Bee,…
- If you move from Tan Son Nhat International Airport to Ben Thanh market, you can take bus No. 152 (from Trung Son residential area to Tan Son Nhat airport and vice versa).
- If you want to move by motorbike for more interesting feeling, you can rent a motorbike to move in some motorbike rental places such as An Vy motorbike rental service (094.666.6566), Mr.Hanh motorbike rental service (0909.630.065),…
Hotels near Ben Thanh market
If you want to find a place to stay near Ben Thanh market, you can rest assured because there are many hotels around this area with convenient locations, good service with many low prices. to high. Some hotels tourists can refer to such as:
- The Hammock Hotel Fine Arts Museum (Map): located in the heart of bustling and vibrant District 1, this is one of the hotels near Ben Thanh market, very convenient for your move. The price is from 962,000 VND / night.
- Piano Hotel (Map): Only 500 meters from Ben Thanh Market, this hotel offers rooms with good quality and is loved by many people. Average price from 541,000 VND / night.
- Tam Hostel (Map): This hotel is only 300m from Ben Thanh market, cheap price, and good service. This will be a suitable option if you are looking for a cheap hotel. Average price from 120,000 VND / night.
- Sedona Suites Ho Chi Minh City (Map): This hotel is just 300m from Ben Thanh Market. All units feature glass windows, a separate living room with a sofa, and a flat-screen TV. Average price from 3,416,000 VND / night.
Places to eat, shop, and play near Ben Thanh market at night
Near Ben Thanh market, there are many places for entertainment, dining, and shopping at night that visitors should experience. In the evening, this area is always bustling by the flow of people, gathering on the streets, dining areas, shopping centers,…
Nguyen Hue Walking Street (Map):
- Nguyen Hue Walking Street has long been an indispensable destination for tourists but also for the local people in Saigon. There are often interesting and unique entertainment activities here.
- Nguyen Hue Street is likened to many people like a street in a certain foreign country because there are no tangled wires, no garbage, the street is tidy with lanes for pedestrians. place.
- There are many exciting activities at Nguyen Hue walking street such as rollerblading – groups of young people performing this art form have attracted a lot of attention from those around them.
- Moreover, if you are a music lover you will be able to enjoy the performances of young people. Sometimes there are also very impressive hip hop performances. You can also visit the bustling restaurants on this street to enjoy a cup of coffee or Saigon dishes.
Address: 22 Nguyen Hue, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Bitexco appeared as a new symbol of Ho Chi Minh city. With a total investment of up to 400,000,000 USD, Bitexco Financial Tower is a huge commercial center with many restaurants, shopping centers, cinemas, … and other services.
- On the 49th floor of Bitexco is Saigon Skydeck – where you can enjoy a panoramic view of the city from this observatory, this will be a very wonderful experience. Especially if you come to Saigon Skydeck at night, you will be able to see the sparkling view of Saigon than ever.
- Eon51 Fine Dining – Experience the 5-star cuisine on the “rooftop” of Saigon. This is a great restaurant for you to experience Asian – u. You will enjoy special dishes in a luxurious and splendid space with a 5-star standard service. This place will be a very interesting destination.
Bitexco Address: Bitexco Financial Tower, 02 Hai Trieu, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Places to eat
Ben Thanh Night Market (Map):
- Ben Thanh Night Market is a popular place for people in Saigon. When they want to eat something at night, they will immediately come here because the food in Ben Thanh market is very diverse.
- This is also a place that many domestic and foreign tourists visit every evening. Perhaps this is a destination not to be missed with the attraction of the rich dishes on sale here.
Address: 13 Phan Chu Trinh, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Noodles with shrimp paste Ms. Khan (Map) (Bún đậu cô Khàn):
- If you want to try Vietnamese noodles with shrimp paste, then Ms.Khan will be a great choice. With a location located in the city center, it will also be very convenient for tourists to move.
- This is one of the first and most famous noodle shops with shrimp paste and shrimp paste in Saigon. Noodles here are commented by many people to have a special taste of the North, the rich taste of shrimp paste, the fatty taste of fried beans, the aroma of vegetables,…
Address: 26 Cong Quynh Street, Nguyen Cu Trinh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Saigon Garden Shopping Center (Map):
- Ho Chi Minh City has many famous shopping malls and one of them is Saigon Garden – a busy and well-known shopping mall.
- With modern architecture, visitors can comfortably shop here. Besides, visitors can also experience restaurants, bars, fashion shops,… all in this Saigon Garden.
Address: 99 Nguyen Hue, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Diamond Plaza Shopping Center (Map):
Diamond Plaza is known as the first commercial center of Ho Chi Minh City (also the largest commercial center in Vietnam at that time). With a convenient location, Diamond plaza is located right behind Notre Dame Cathedral.
Diamond Plaza Shopping Center has 4 floors, including a full range of entertainment and shopping activities. There are many top famous fashions and cosmetic brands such as Lancome, Dior, Chanel, Calvin Klein, Levi’s, Clinique, Bvlgari, …
The valuable experiences when shopping at Ben Thanh market
Here are some experiences that visitors need to know when shopping at this market to have a great experience:
- Visitors can pay the price of the item you want to buy at the price you want. Rest assured that the seller will not be upset with this bid, but they will be willing to negotiate with visitors.
- If you want to find a place to buy delicious Indian Curry, you can visit Anh Hai stall – This is a long-standing curry selling the place and has registered its exclusive trademark, so visitors can be completely assured.
- If visitors do not know what to buy at Ben Thanh market as gifts, visitors can buy handicraft items at this market. With a variety of beautiful and diverse designs, which are exquisitely designed, this will surely satisfy you.
- Be careful when visiting Ben Thanh. Because the number of visitors is very large, although there is a police force to protect the security, visitors need to pay attention to preserve your property.
Famous tourist spots near Ben Thanh
- Notre Dame Cathedral (Map): Mentioned as one of the symbols of Saigon, Notre Dame Cathedral was built with a unique architecture, all built with red brick. This place is a destination not to be missed when you come to Ho Chi Minh city.
Address: 01 Cong Xa Paris, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Independence Palace (Map): Independence Palace is one of the great historical architectural works of the city. Besides visiting the historical images here, you can also take beautiful selfies thanks to the architecture in this place.
Address: 135 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Bui Vien Walking Street (Map): Famous as one of the bustling and bustling pedestrian streets in Saigon. Bui Vien gathered a lot of foreigners and bars, restaurants, cafes… This will be a very bustling destination at night.
Address: Bui Vien, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Ben Thanh is a unique cultural feature of Saigon people in particular and Vietnam in general. Around the market, there are also many tourist and entertainment places, food courts, shopping,… After exploring Ben Thanh market, let’s explore with VnTraveler.com other places in Ho Chi Minh city in the following articles!